Information about students in DC is easily available, but information about the teachers is not. The following pages are designed to inform you about the demographic makeup of teachers within the District of Columbia.
Demographics by Race: DCPS & PCS
*Public Charter Schools are not required to report this information.
4,130 Total Teachers
PUBLIC CHARTER TEACHERS
2,660 Total Teachers
- About 67% of public and charter school students are Black, but 52% of the teachers are .
- About 19% of public and charter school students are Latinx, but about 7% of the teachers are .
- Even though White students represent only 10% of public and charter school students, nearly 30% of teachers are White .
"Minority students often perform better on standardized tests, have improved attendance, and are suspended less frequently (which may suggest either different degrees of behavior or different treatment, or both) when they have at least one same-race teacher."
-David Figlio (Dean for the School of Education and Social Policy at Northwestern University.)
The problem for our students:
- Black students are disproportionately suspended at the highest rates.
- Black & Latinx students have the lowest four-year high school graduation rates.
- Black & Latinx students have the lowest standardized testing scores.
The Disproportionality of Disciplinary Action by Race/Ethnicity: DCPS & PCS
2019 Four-Year Cohort Graduation Rate by Race/Ethnicity: DCPS & PCS
State Standardized Assessment Results: PARCC (2018 - 19)
DCPS PARCC Results
PCS PARCC Results
- District of Columbia Teacher Workforce Report. (2019, October). Retrieved from https://osse.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/osse/publication/attachments/DC Educator Workforce Report 10.2019.pdf.
- Mayor Bowser Announces 11 Years of Continued Enrollment Growth for DCPS and Public Charter Schools | OCA Office of the City Administrator, 22 Oct. 2019, https://oca.dc.gov/release/mayor-bowser-announces-11-years-continued-enrollment-growth-dcps-and-public-charter-schools. Accessed 31 Jan. 2020.
- Office of the State Superintendent of Education. (2019). State of Discipline: 2017-18 School Year. [online] Available at: https://osse.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/osse/page_content/attachments/2017-18%20School%20Year%20Discipline%20Report.pdf.
- Office of the State Superintendent of Education. (2019). 2018-19 Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate. [online] Available at: https://osse.dc.gov/publication/2018-19-adjusted-cohort-graduation-rate.
- DCPS Fast Facts 2017-18. (2018). Retrieved from https://dcps.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dcps/publication/attachments/DCPS-Fast-Facts-2019-20.pdf.
- District of Columbia 2016-2017 Equity Report. (2019). Retrieved from https://osse.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/osse/publication/attachments/2017_Equity_Report_Citywide_District%20of%20Columbia.pdf.
- OSSE NGA Web Report. (2019). http://results.osse.dc.gov/state/DC.